Thursday, June 23, 2005

Ireland / Versailles

Oh whoa, if there is Heaven on Earth it is Ardgillan Castle just outside of Dublin, Ireland. What a beautiful day it was there. I have tried to enclose some pictures but they are not even close to replicating the beauty of that day! We played for about 50,000 Irish and it was too much fun. REM played right after us, and we were congratulated by Michael Stipe. I recognized him from many nights at Go and 284 in Athens, although I thought he looked much better now. I am right now on the Eurostar taking the train from Paris to London. Beautiful! Outside my window are little clusters of stone houses surrounded by green farms, with small steeples peaking through the villas. Ahh. Travelling is completely amazing. We are having much fun as this European tour winds down.

Ardgillan Castle. This is from standing on the top of the hill; the stage (and water) is behind me.


The Stage. This is taken from in front of the castle. Looking at the stage you see this. The people were only just trickling in at this point. The even more amazing thing was when we performed from the stage. Our view was a giant hill covered in thousands of people, and at the top a beautiful castle. Oh breathtaking!


Last night we played at Versailles (which is basically the biggest castle I’ve ever seen in my life) with probably hundreds of other bands. Our dressing rooms were INSIDE the castle, and the show began at 9:00. We were on at 11:50 and the lights of the night on the castle and surrounding grounds were absolutely beautiful. I could not snap out of my fairytale, pretending I lived in and walked along the long stone arched hallways and scurried up the rows of stairs leading to upper levels. Oh, it was delightful! I will try to send some good pictures of this, but the grandeur, I’m not sure it can be captured on film.

The stage at sound check, Versailles. This is the view the audience and the TV cameras would have had.


Versailles at night. This is the backdrop for the stage. The castle. Oh wow. Beauty. But you cannot imagine what a SMALL portion of the castle this actually was! Just a little edge of one of the wings in the courtyard.

<< Home