Music Has Power Awards 2006

What a beautiful evening!
We had another over-the-top Music Has Power Awards. The performers were outstanding, including:
Jourdan Urbach, violin (14 y/o child prodigy)
Patty Griffin
Lisa Edelstein
Dustin Hoffman
Timothy Fain
Rob Thomas (from Matchbox 20)
And two beautiful patient performers from Beth Abraham, Juanita and Carey.
There is something so special about witnessing a master performing his or her art. I was blessed with this experience when Dustin Hoffman delivered his speech honoring Dr. Oliver Sacks. His mastery of acting, as he crafted each word, pause, and gesture with intent, made for one of the most beautifully delivered speeches I have ever experienced. The whole night built up to and flowed from this moment. Oliver Sacks was the neurologist who Dustin consulted when he was learning about savant syndrome for his role in Rain Man. He expressed his deep gratitude and inspiration he received from Dr. Sacks. It was truly beautiful.
The evening ended with two lovely performances by patients of Beth Abraham. Each patient had created heart-felt lyrics to moving music and delivered them beautifully. It's always gratifying to see patients shine like that when you know how hard they have worked to get there. It's like a tangible reward for your efforts - and a very exciting reminder that so much good is being done for so many patients through music therapy. No one left uninspired that night. Check out the photos below!
(Note: Tragedy happened last week when I dropped my digital camera on a rock and the LCD screen shattered. I couldn't take pictures like I had hoped I could so I had to rely on scrounging up from friends' cameras, and you know how hard that is. Thank you to my friends who helped me out!)
Perhaps the most beautiful moment of the night, Dustin (off to right) had just given the Award to Oliver Sacks, who is just about to make a beautiful thank-you statement

Connie (my boss, director of the Institute for Music and Neurologic Function), Oliver Sacks, and Dustin Hoffman

Carey, a patient performer who sang two beautiful songs, and Dustin

Juanita, a patient performer who performed a poem to music and sang a moving song

Glamorous former and current interns: Ginger, Luci, Tania, Audrey
