Will there Be Snow?

Ok, so I realize that my last post was about the weather. Ohhhhh how cliche, how trite, how common! But here's one thing about me - I happen to love the weather, especially unique circumstances. And I love changes in the air, storms, wind, perfect clear days, and each time it changes it's like it affects my inner workings. It's not a subtle effect, it's a whole-being experience. It reminds me that we are so small in this infinitely large world - like when you're out on the ocean, or watching the stars. We are so little and our day-to-day is so small in comparison to some of the much larger forces at work out there. Like weather, planetary rotation, supernovas, etc. So it's hard for me not to notice it, and even harder for me not to comment about it. However, luckily MANY things excite me and shake my soul, so probably there won't be THAT much time to comment about the weather.
The weeks in review. I found some pictures that I hadn't downloaded yet.
Drum recording session: Randy Brown, legend
A party Erin hosted. Erin, Luci and Peter (of the soon-to-be-named band)
Last night I had the privilege of attending a gallery exhibit of a former patient (featured in an earlier post on this blog Click here to see June '06 posts) who is painting the most amazing watercolors that I have probably ever seen in my life. Watercolor is usually so light, foggy, ephemeral. Not Cliff's. His are bright, sharp, resonant, and FULL of color. Last night he was describing a few of his techniques to me, some of which he invented himself. OH! How thoroughly interesting! I can't wait until I have the financial positioning to commission him to paint a larger work for me. Oh, and don't forget, Cliff is quadriplegic. Amazing.
Cliff with Connie Tejeda (Public Relations at Beth Abraham AND best friend)
Look at all those paintings (most of which were already sold)!
Ok! On to more exciting stuff! Maybe you don't know this about me, but after graduating from college, I decided that at some point in my life I was going to help re-structure America's educational system. As I thought about my time spent in college, and even high school, it seemed like there were so many hours wasted, whether it was because of slack teachers who only wanted to assign busy-work and keep their tenure, un-thought-out course requirements - classes you had to take JUST BECAUSE they were mandatory, or simply lack of information presented in text-books, etc. So I decided one day I was going to start a new kind of school in America; one that taught and encouraged creativity not just memorization, one that had teachers who CARED and who could present information so that their students would retain it longer than just for the test, one that didn't present only one side of history, or one side of philosophy, or religion, or science, but all sides, one that encouraged the creation of new ideas, etc.
So check this out - it's already happening!!! An old friend forwarded me an email this week with the Executive Summary of the report on skills of the American workforce. Basically a team of researchers and high-profile educators got together and for the past 2 years have been researching the international job market and international education standards. They have compiled a report that states Americans must have a better educational system in order to maintain jobs (income) in this rapidly growing economic world. And they explain why and how. Not only that, many of the suggestions they pose are some of the SAME ideas I already formulated for my new school system. So you can see why I'm so excited about this.
Please, check out this summary I have linked here. I'd love to know what you think. Please post a comment AND your email address if you want to discuss. (In the comments section, if you don't post your email address then I don't know how to get in touch with you!) A few things are interesting, many are radical ideas, and some may work brilliantly while others may be open for more controversy. What do you think? I'd love to know.
Click Here
Ok! Can't wait till Sunday. I'm sure I'll have more good updates!
Love,
Luci
