Friday, June 01, 2007

Blue Moon

Hi! Sorry it's been so long. So much has been going on, wow. May - a beautiful month, full of emotion. And check it out, last night was a BLUE MOON! In case you're not brushed up on what a blue moon is, there are several definitions, but the simplest one is when there are two full moons in a month! So exciting, because it doesn't happen very often. Last night I had a very bluemoon evening - I had the pleasure of seeing the great Matisyahu perform. If you haven't already heard of him, he's a brilliant musician who combines Jewish themes with reggae beats and sounds. Although he performs in traditional Hasidic clothing, he sounds like he just stepped off the boat from Jamaica. Amazing!

Now, this was an interesting experience for me, because, little did I know, this was a very underground event. (I was invited by his percussionist, Marlon Sobol, who is a friend and colleague of mine in the NY music therapy world.) This was Matisyahu's first ever fan-club show (i.e. closest fans, friends, and family). It was at what seemed like a secret gallery in Brooklyn, just off the water, and when I walked in it appeared as any other underground club I'd been in. Until I looked around me at the people. It was amazing! Young people, most my age and probably younger, dressed like they had stepped out of the middle of the 20th century, if not earlier! The guys, it seemed, were all dressed formally, many in full suits with hats, others in white shirts and dark pants, their long beards and covering most of their faces. And the girls - there wasn't a knee in that place showing! (I was so glad I had decided to wear pants.) Long skirts and dresses, muted colors, straight-hair wigs surrounded me, among other modest styles of dress. And the room was magical! The energy coming from the stage and flowing back from the audience was beautiful. So peaceful! Everyone, from grandparents to pre-teens were grooving to the sweet flow of the vocals, guitar, and percussion....WOW!

I am always delighted when I stumble upon a totally different social scenario. It's fantastic to dive into another culture for a moment, to ponder the beautiful diversity in the world, and how our distinctive cultural backgrounds lead us to each put our unique touch on the world as it is now. It troubles me to think that so often these differences are fought over rather than cherished. I guess it comes down to people being closed to all ways but their own way - yet why would you want to close yourself off from the many different and beautiful ways of thinking/living/acting/being? There is so much richness in cultural differences! So much to be learned! So many other perspectives to entertain and explore... And the very blue moon shone down me like a mirror in the sky as I walked home pondering all these things.

Phone camera: Matisyahu (on right) Marlon (center)


Stay tuned for another exciting post. I had the pleasure of hanging out with some of our nation's armed forces. Another new experience. Can't wait to tell you all about my thoughts on that...or maybe I'll just show some pictures.

Love always!
Luci

<< Home