Sunday, September 04, 2005

The Cancun Show

Ok let me say we had an INTERESTING show in Cancun. For some reason the floor was on a springboard, and this venue couldn’t have lights hung from the ceiling, so they had to rig them up from big trusses that were supported from the floor. You can see where this is going. When we first walked out on the stage I thought Mexico was having an earthquake, you know with all this natural disaster happening lately. I was slightly bouncing, and looking up at the lights I saw that they were too. I wondered if perhaps that was enough earth movement to make the building fall down. Halfway through the show the crew had taken down 2/3rds of the lights fearing they would fall. By the time we hit Body Rock near the end of the show, the rest of the lights were MOVING! When we did our encore of Rebel Yell, something about the frequency of the tempo and the movement of the crowd caused everything to shake even more! Those lights suspended right above us were bowing back and forth so intensely that I could see their wave patterns! They caused such a vibration that when I stood very still on the riser I actually caught air a few times from the great magnitude of the bouncing. Ali came on stage pale-faced to tell Moby that he had to stop the show. Then a Mexican made an announcement to the audience, I think he asked them to be more still. We ended with Lift Me Up and minimal bouncing. After the show the lighting guys had calculated that the lights were bending 18 inches back and forth AHH!

We got to Monterrey yesterday afternoon. Lovely, mountainous.



I was starting to get a cough, so I went to the drug store in the mall - perhaps one of the biggest malls I have ever seen. As I was walking back to the hotel to change for an 8:00 dinner with Moby, a van stopped beside me and the door opened and I heard, “Luci! Get in!!” It was Moby and everyone! They had changed the plans, and were going to dinner earlier because Cirque du Soleil had invited us to come to the show, VIP! AHHHHHHH! I didn’t even find this out until we were sitting at the dinner table. Saltimbanco (one of the shows I actually haven’t seen) was in town and we were going! Ohh, I couldn’t explain my excitement! If you know me you know my true and utter passion for the brilliant combination of the art of music, color, movement, the human body, and human feats that Cirque du Soleil encompasses. Ahhh. When we got to the show the Cirque promoter asked us if we’d rather go to the VIP tent during the intermission or go backstage in the kitchen with the artists. HA?! We chose the latter! It was amazing! The show was spectacular, during intermission I met some of the musicians, and managers. Afterwards I met a few more of them when we went to their backstage area where instead of hummus and coat hangers they had trapezes and weight-lifting machines. Amazing! They are all coming to the show tonight, how perfect! So wish us luck - I mean this is actually one of my all time dreams coming true. I got to go backstage and meet the Cirque du Soleil artists! Ahhhhhh, life is soooooooo good!

Love y’all!
Luci

Our new singer, Joy

<< Home