How sad that I havent updated since Atlanta!
I will try my best to recap all worthy of noting. So, I’m getting into the swing of this lifestyle. We play a show in the nights, hop on the bus, watch a movie, go to bed, wake up the next day around 11 or 12, eat/explore the city weather permitting, sound check in the early evening, dinner at the venue provided by catering (some much better than others) and dress for the concert. This pattern is actually not too hard to get accustomed to, and I am slipping into it quite well.
So, since the high point of Atlanta we went to DC where I explored the White House, various memorials, and the Mall, which is not a mall at all but a large area of space between the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial or something like that. I took some great pictures!

I even rented a paddleboat with one of my friends who’s a DC native, and floated and paddled in what I think they call the Tidal Basin. The weather was a mildly chilly paradise. Oh, and the Cherry Trees! My grandmother Meme has told me all my life about the beautiful Cherry Trees in Washington DC, and I had never had the pleasure of seeing them until THAT DAY, approximately 3 days after they officially peaked. Just beautiful.

We went to Philadelphia the next day. Quite interesting though I cannot recall WHAT we did there during the daytime! Probably recovered from socializing. I think the Philly show was where Moby and Daron debuted their dueling guitars which the Atlanta show-goers missed out on. Basically they pretend to beat each other with nasty and nastier guitar solos until one claims winnerhood. I enjoy laughing during that portion of the show!
In Boston I met up with a recent intern from Beth Abe who is a graduate student at MIT making crazy inventions using the most cutting edge technology available in the world. I got a tour of the Media Lab where lots of these things are taking place. Wow. Impressive!
Then to Canada. Let me tell you how beautiful we all found Montreal and Toronto to be. I would like to come back one day for a long weekend in Montreal to really get familiar with the city. It was quite European, and everyone speaks French! How hot! We shot a TV show in Montreal so we didn’t have all that much time to explore the city. But in Toronto we spent an entire day exploring all it had to offer, starting out at the Hard Rock Cafe. Laura admits to making this terrible suggestion, and we laughed at the few kids that recognized Moby there because for the rest of their lives they will go to Hard Rock Cafs expecting famous musicians to actually be there! Let’s just say the food was ROUGH. We explored much of the city, on foot, and were led to the CN Tower which is the tallest something-or-other in the world. But it seems like every structure I have paid money to ascend claims they are the tallest something-or-other in the world. It was beautiful also.

Oh, did I mention that the weather in Canada, the northern most point we have yet traveled, had the very best weather! It was in the 70s and just a little humid. Perfection. Moby had an interview in a large non Barnes and Noble bookstore that afternoon so we hung out there for a little while, and then went exploring even more.
When we finally made it back to the venue my exhaustion and filth level was so great I had to take a shower in a structure that made the dorm showers of Myers Hall look like a 5 star day spa. I did wear shower shoes, something I have not done since my Edinburgh experience.
After Canada we made it to NY for a very New York show at Webster Hall. Wow, that was fun. Unfortunately the tickets were sold out in minutes after the mysterious date when they went on sale so I was unable to get anyone in. I have been promised I will receive better information about ticket sales for the next NY show, and a healthy guest list! So sorry to my New York family! But the show was exceptional, and the after-party was fun too. We had our own little after the afte-rparty after-party at Moby’s from which I did not get home until well after 5 AM. Ahh this crazy new life I’m in! But it is all wonderful.
We left the next night from NY to play in Detroit; that was yesterday. Laura had gotten sick from Daron who had it a week earlier (the NY after-parties didn’t help so much either) and lost her voice almost completely. SO, we had to restructure the show for her absence. I ended up singing quite a lot more than normal. We took out her signature songs where she wails away and the rest was left up to me. My self assessment says it was ok, like a B- performance. Had I had a little practice, like if it had ever occurred to me that Laura might get sick and not be able to do a show, I might have sung these songs EVER, at least once before, like in the shower at least. But, for no practice at all I guess it was pretty good. One mistake, f-up as we call it, but I think it was easily forgotten. Actually, it was a fun challenge and I got to think hard and a lot during the show. You know how much I love to be challenged musically!
That brings me to today. Chicago. Cold. In the 30s, and it was snowing this morning for several hours. None stuck, thank goodness, but PLEASE, it’s the end of APRIL!! I anticipate a fun show tonight. Laura spent the day yesterday in a hotel recovering and she’s back in the game tonight, at least 2/3rds of her is. I will have to say that we all agreed it felt too weird without her last night. We are definitely becoming sort of like a family, and when one of us isn’t there it sets things off in an empty-feeling kind of way. I still can’t believe I am living this life. How thankful can one person be?!!
Love you all!
Luci
So, since the high point of Atlanta we went to DC where I explored the White House, various memorials, and the Mall, which is not a mall at all but a large area of space between the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial or something like that. I took some great pictures!

I even rented a paddleboat with one of my friends who’s a DC native, and floated and paddled in what I think they call the Tidal Basin. The weather was a mildly chilly paradise. Oh, and the Cherry Trees! My grandmother Meme has told me all my life about the beautiful Cherry Trees in Washington DC, and I had never had the pleasure of seeing them until THAT DAY, approximately 3 days after they officially peaked. Just beautiful.

We went to Philadelphia the next day. Quite interesting though I cannot recall WHAT we did there during the daytime! Probably recovered from socializing. I think the Philly show was where Moby and Daron debuted their dueling guitars which the Atlanta show-goers missed out on. Basically they pretend to beat each other with nasty and nastier guitar solos until one claims winnerhood. I enjoy laughing during that portion of the show!
In Boston I met up with a recent intern from Beth Abe who is a graduate student at MIT making crazy inventions using the most cutting edge technology available in the world. I got a tour of the Media Lab where lots of these things are taking place. Wow. Impressive!
Then to Canada. Let me tell you how beautiful we all found Montreal and Toronto to be. I would like to come back one day for a long weekend in Montreal to really get familiar with the city. It was quite European, and everyone speaks French! How hot! We shot a TV show in Montreal so we didn’t have all that much time to explore the city. But in Toronto we spent an entire day exploring all it had to offer, starting out at the Hard Rock Cafe. Laura admits to making this terrible suggestion, and we laughed at the few kids that recognized Moby there because for the rest of their lives they will go to Hard Rock Cafs expecting famous musicians to actually be there! Let’s just say the food was ROUGH. We explored much of the city, on foot, and were led to the CN Tower which is the tallest something-or-other in the world. But it seems like every structure I have paid money to ascend claims they are the tallest something-or-other in the world. It was beautiful also.

Oh, did I mention that the weather in Canada, the northern most point we have yet traveled, had the very best weather! It was in the 70s and just a little humid. Perfection. Moby had an interview in a large non Barnes and Noble bookstore that afternoon so we hung out there for a little while, and then went exploring even more.
When we finally made it back to the venue my exhaustion and filth level was so great I had to take a shower in a structure that made the dorm showers of Myers Hall look like a 5 star day spa. I did wear shower shoes, something I have not done since my Edinburgh experience.
After Canada we made it to NY for a very New York show at Webster Hall. Wow, that was fun. Unfortunately the tickets were sold out in minutes after the mysterious date when they went on sale so I was unable to get anyone in. I have been promised I will receive better information about ticket sales for the next NY show, and a healthy guest list! So sorry to my New York family! But the show was exceptional, and the after-party was fun too. We had our own little after the afte-rparty after-party at Moby’s from which I did not get home until well after 5 AM. Ahh this crazy new life I’m in! But it is all wonderful.
We left the next night from NY to play in Detroit; that was yesterday. Laura had gotten sick from Daron who had it a week earlier (the NY after-parties didn’t help so much either) and lost her voice almost completely. SO, we had to restructure the show for her absence. I ended up singing quite a lot more than normal. We took out her signature songs where she wails away and the rest was left up to me. My self assessment says it was ok, like a B- performance. Had I had a little practice, like if it had ever occurred to me that Laura might get sick and not be able to do a show, I might have sung these songs EVER, at least once before, like in the shower at least. But, for no practice at all I guess it was pretty good. One mistake, f-up as we call it, but I think it was easily forgotten. Actually, it was a fun challenge and I got to think hard and a lot during the show. You know how much I love to be challenged musically!
That brings me to today. Chicago. Cold. In the 30s, and it was snowing this morning for several hours. None stuck, thank goodness, but PLEASE, it’s the end of APRIL!! I anticipate a fun show tonight. Laura spent the day yesterday in a hotel recovering and she’s back in the game tonight, at least 2/3rds of her is. I will have to say that we all agreed it felt too weird without her last night. We are definitely becoming sort of like a family, and when one of us isn’t there it sets things off in an empty-feeling kind of way. I still can’t believe I am living this life. How thankful can one person be?!!
Love you all!
Luci
